EndoGoddess

EndoGoddess

Monday, January 9, 2012

Sugar and Mobile Health!


I am currently working on a carbohydrate counting app specifically for people with diabetes so 'sugar' has been on my mind a lot lately. The app is under development so I can't tell you details yet except to say that I am excited about it!



Carbohydates and sugar play a huge role in diabetes (type 1 or type 2). The role is different, however, when it comes to prevention as type 1 diabetes is not caused by 'too much sugar'. However, the role of carbohydrates and sugar in the treatment of all types of diabetes is equally important. Within the medical community, there are those professionals that believe more in the evidence for a low fat diet for wellness versus the low carbohydrate diet for wellness. It is my professional and personal opinion that lower carbohydrate diets are actually the healthiest for anyone who is prone to develop diabetes or who already has diabetes. An excellent summary of the low carbohydrate evidence is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?pagewanted=all



Like a lot of Americans, I eat too many carbohydrates when I am eating without mindfulness. Today, I have started a 21 day sugar and carbohydrate detox (supervised by my doctors) so that I can see if this reduces my carbohydrate cravings (made worse by working on my carbohydrate counting app lately). When I am done, I will return to eating carbohydrates but in a lower quantity.



I am using Calorie Tracker by Livestrong.com iPhone app to journal my food entries and my Fitbit pedometer device to keep track of my daily exercise and sleep. And, just so you know, I do not have any disclaimers or financial relationships with any of these companies...I am a health and wellness consumer in this case just like you.

1 comment:

  1. "Carbohydates and sugar play a huge role in diabetes (type 1 or type 2). The role is different, however, when it comes to prevention as type 1 diabetes is not caused by 'too much sugar'.

    Neither is Type 2. Too much sugar doesn't cause ANY form diabetes. Sure, putting on the pounds may lead some persons to a higher RISK of developing type 2 diabetes, but having a sugar binge on any given day isn't going to give anyone diabetes. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

    Thanks for developing apps and things to help our community.

    ReplyDelete